A Nutritionist’s Quarantine Grocery List
It’s important to boost your immunity during a virus outbreak. VNA’s nutritionist put together a list of some healthy, long-lasting foods and ingredients that will strengthen your immune system and reduce food waste.
1. Dry and canned beans are affordable, versatile and a great source of fiber. Use them for a taco night, make them into a dip or cook up a big pot of chili.
2. Nuts and nut butters add protein and healthy fats to any dish or snack, from salads to sandwiches.
3. Canned tomatoes are one of the most versatile canned vegetables. Add them to soups and stews or make some home-made sauce to pair with whole-wheat pasta noodles.
4. Canned fruit in 100% juice adds some healthy sweetness in your diet. Eat it directly or use it as a topping for oatmeal and yogurts.
5. Brown rice and quinoa make a great grain base for many protein and vegetable-based meals.
6. Boxed, plant-based milk is fantastic to have on hand for cereal, coffee, frozen fruit smoothies and more.
7. Frozen fruits and vegetables like peaches, strawberries and cherries or broccoli, corn and green beans are just as nutritious as fresh veggies, without the prep time.
8. Frozen meats like ground turkey, lean ground beef and fish can be used for burgers, meatballs, sauces, soups or chowders. They are, of course, an excellent source of protein.
Adding healthy, long-lasting foods and ingredients to your grocery list will boost your immunity, reduce food waste and keep your store trips to a minimum. Don’t forget to check online for grocery pickup or delivery options, too!
Share this story: