The following precautions and processes have been implemented in response to COVID-19 in our community:
At VNA, the health and safety of our patients and staff is the highest priority. Regular hand washing and the use of hand sanitizer has always been part of our care routine and we will continue to be extra vigilant after cases of COVID-19 have been reported in our area. Patients and nurses must wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before any treatment is provided. VNA custodial staff has conducted regular and thorough cleaning of our facility and we are increasing daily cleaning, especially in areas that are touched most often.
VNA staff who exhibit any symptoms or have been exposed to someone with a fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing are being told to stay home. VNA has implemented the following:
- VNA nurses are conducting a respiratory and travel screening process prior to each patient visit. Once given the all-clear, care will proceed as normal.
- To limit potential exposure amongst our nurses, all clients are required to wear masks during visits.
- Nurses are evaluating, on a case by case basis, if masks, gowns or other precautions are needed to care for patients.
- Our in-house pharmacy is prepared, and our supplier has extended the amounts of medication we can provide to each patient, if necessary.
- For patients exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, treatment options are being evaluated. In some cases, VNA is utilizing telehealth – an opportunity for our patients to speak directly with their nurse via phone, laptop or smartphone.
- We are providing guidance and direction in helping patients and their families limit exposure.
- Community program staff members are providing support and guidance to our collaborative partners in areas including schools, homeless shelters and parenting support visitation programs. When in-person visits are not possible, VNA staff is available via phone or email.
Things you can do to help our frontline healthcare professionals caring for our community during this crisis:
Here are resources for yourself and loved ones during this time:
Activities for Families